Wednesday, September 23, 2009

the beginning

It all started on a rainy rainy night. A friend of mine had just broken up with his girlfriend and was feeling a bit down. The rain was coming down real hard. I myself was a bit stressed out from work and family issues. That's when the idea came to me. I wanted to feel better and I wanted my friend to feel better. We decided we would just wander around nyc not caring how wet we became. I found a pen and a piece of paper in my bag. I tore the paper into little rectangles and folded the rectangles in half, making tiny booklets, a cover, two pages on the inside and a back. On the cover I wrote the word "fragile," on the inside I wrote "I think you are gorgeous," the facing page said "please pass this on to someone you feel is gorgeous," and the back had a smiley face. It was simple. We were standing around 34th st and the streets were fairly empty, people were afraid of the rain. Finally I saw a lady walking by with a bike, while talking on her cell phone. I looked over at my friend and gave him a card. I told him to chase her down and give her a card. He looked at me confused at first but then ran after her. From where I was standing I couldn't hear the conversation. I saw him talking to her and then I saw him walk away. She stood there confused, and then this gigantic grin just enveloped her face, she looked up at us confused, looked like there was something she wanted to say but we were already gone. He told me the conversation... "excuse me ma'am, you dropped this. I didn't drop anything. No really I saw this fall out of your back pocket. No it really didn't, that's not mine. Yes it is, look I saw you drop it, just take it, goodnight." My friend walked back with a gigantic grin on his face, he seemed to be smiling more than she was. We continued passing out 14 more cards throughout the evening. And finally left for home with a much better state of mind then when we started.

No comments:

Post a Comment